National Police Misconduct NewsFeed Daily Recap 07-25-12

Here are the 10 stories of police misconduct tracked for Wednesday, June 25, 2012:

  • Update: Chicago, IL: The police officer accused of beating a 19-year-old while he was handcuffed was found guilty of aggravated battery and official misconduct. The incident was caught on tape.
  • New Orleans, Louisiana: Three New Orleans officers were implicated in misconduct incidents. One was taking funds from a nonprofit illegally. She is scheduled to be sentenced in October. Another was arrested for writing a worthless check. The third was booked for a DWI.
  • Franklin Park, Illinois: An off-duty sheriff’s deputy was charged with an aggravated DUI after a fatal crash. He was taken into custody after the crash.
  • Huntsville, Alabama: The Dash-Cam video released by police shows the incident that cost an officer his job. He is now appealing his termination.
  • Prince George County, Maryland: An officer was sentenced to almost four years in prison for his role in protecting shipments of untaxed cigarettes and alcohol. “It degrades what we expect from people we put in positions of trust,” said the Assistant U.S. Attorney. “We have to show law enforcement that you can’t do this and walk away.” The scheme is said to have cost the government, and taxpayers, about $2.8 million.
  • Los Angeles, California: An officer was sentenced to four years in prison for abusing suspects with pepper spray and a stun gun.
  • Coral Gables, Florida: An officer was arrested after allegedly attacking his girlfriend by pushing her against a door and biting her. He was relieved of duty pending criminal charges.
  • Vohees, Township, New Jersey: A police officer has been accused of misusing police database information about a woman in order to ‘friend’ her on Facebook.
  • Gwinnett County, Georgia: A deputy accused of sexually assaulting an inmate confessed his guilt. He is now being charged in court.
  • Chicago, Illinois: The City Council signed off on settlements in 2 lawsuits totaling $7.17 million filed by men who allege they were victims of police torturing. One man will receive $5 million after he said police tortured him for 4 days before he confessed to murder. He served 23 years and was then exonerated.