Here are the 15 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Tuesday, March 8, 2011:
- St Paul MN settled a lawsuit for $270k to a woman claiming she needed over 300 stitches after a police officer allegedly threw her through a glass door. Police still insist that she fell. 
- The villages of La Grange Park IL & Brookfield IL both agreed to settle a lawsuit for a combined $262k to a man who was tasered 11x in 56 seconds while he was having an epileptic seizure. 
- Three Hamilton County OH deputies are the subject of a lawsuit filed by a man who was tasered 7 times in about a minute while he was suffering from a diabetic episode. The suit was filed after prosecutors refused to file charges over the incident because an “expert” they hired cleared the officers of wrongdoing. In fact, that expert told reporters she has never found wrongdoing by any officer she’s investigated in her career as a “use of force expert”. 
- Ottawa County MI is being sued by a college student who was unarmed when he was shot in the chest by a deputy during a raid on his apartment because he raised his arm to shield his eyes from a flashlight glare when he opened the door for the officers. 
- A Seaside CA police officer has been arrested on 2 assault and 6 sexual battery charges involving incidents that allegedly occurred while he was on duty. 
- A Downriver MI police officer is the subject of an investigation into unspecied sexual assault allegations. 
- A Fort Worth TX police officer is under investigation after a couple complained that the officer was overly aggressive and used excessive force when he injured a woman at a park while throwing her into his cruiser then falsely ticketing the man she was with for violating the park’s curfew while many others were in the park playing with their dogs and watching softball games. 
- Danbury CT has settled a lawsuit for $400k to 8 of 11 day laborers who claimed that an immigration raid was a matter of racial profiling. Oddly, the lawyer representing the city called the $400k payout “vindication” for the city. 
- A New Melle MO police officer has been sentenced to probation for sexually harassing a school teacher via text messages and an alleged illegal traffic stop. Previous reports about the case also included allegations he threatened her inside a school classroom with a taser but subsequent articles didn’t mention it. 
- A San Bernardino County CA assistant sheriff, captain, lieutenant and a deputy were among 7 sheriff’s employees who were indicted for perjury, grand theft and conspiracy on allegations the rigged exams in order to falsely claim pay raises. 
- Four Milwaukee WI police officers were suspended from 1-3 days for failing to properly investigate a fatal hit-and-run accident that involved a relative of a police officer. 
- A now-retired Houston TX police officer pled guilty to theft and misapplication of $200k in police union funds. 
- Three Washington DC police officers have been suspended after arrested for receiving stolen property in sting operation 
- A Bennington County VT deputy was arrested on a domestic assault charge on allegations he threw a can at a woman then grabbed her by the throat and threw her to the floor. 
- And finally, a Baltimore MD police major is under investigation for allegedly leaving the scene of an accident involving his city-owned car. 
Yes, today’s numbers are a little low for a regular Tuesday but it was a difficult day today unfortunately. Beyond just being a bad day overall I wasn’t able to catch up on the news feed during my 1.5-2 hour bus rides home as both the buses I take were packed.
Hopefully I’ll find some of the reports I missed tomorrow. As always, I’ll give it my best effort.
Anyway, that’s it for today, stay safe out there!