Here are the 19 (21) reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this weekend of March 17-18, 2012:
- Orlando FL cops faulted in autopsy of man who died after being subjected to 4 taser burts while he was restrained, one of which lasted 31 seconds which is over 6x the recommended 5 second burst. No disciplinary action is planned for the officers.  http://bit.ly/FQNIx0
- Del City OK police are being accused of a coverup after witnesses claim they fatally shot an unarmed teen in back while his hands were raised. Police claim they had to shoot because he was holding a gun.  http://bit.ly/FSHY4W
- Newark NJ cop accused of hitting mentally ill man in the chest with a running leap punch before he died. The man’s family is demanding a federal investigation into the incident.  http://bit.ly/zZ8RG7
- Pinellas Co FL deputy seriously injured a man by tasering him while he was cuffed during an unspecified arrest by a state EPA cop  http://bit.ly/yEQp1v
- Orlando FL cop suspended w/o pay for unspecified period of time for throwing a woman to the ground on video, breaking her teeth in the process.  http://bit.ly/zeghxl
- New York NY police are accused of a variety of abuses in their latest crackdown on Occupy protests and there are videos claiming to back some of these claims, including:  http://bit.ly/wPLyQR
- Several NYPD officers stand around young woman apparently having a seizure after her arrest at the Occupy protest while fellow protesters are marched over and around her body onto a waiting prisoner transport bus.
- NYPD officer appears to pick female protester up from behind before she was slammed down on the ground, allegedly cracking her ribs. This one is a difficult call, however, since it’s difficult to determine a context of what’s going on and why she was grabbed to be arrested.
- NYPD officers shown on video slamming an Occupy medic head-first into a door window, breaking the window while arresting him for unknown reasons.
Oddly, despite these 3 incidents with documented injuries, police reported that they were not aware of any injuries that occurred during occupy arrests in their press releases the following day.
- Miami FL SWAT team performed a heavily armed raid on unarmed Occupy protesters that was partially caught on video. The police claim they received reports they were arming themselves for the next protest but the protesters were released after searches & interrogations.  http://bit.ly/zKzhQO
- Chicago IL cops detained reporters standing on a public sidewalk outside of a hospital while they tried to cover a story. The police were caught on camera telling them that “1st Amendment rights can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever” and this appeared to be a case of “whatever” as the police said they were causing a scene just by standing there.  http://bit.ly/znrhgp
- 2 East Cleveland OH cops fired for violating policy by opening fire at a car when the woman driving it tried to flee a traffic stop  http://bit.ly/FUKHe3
- Youngstown OH cops are accused of cuffing & arresting a grandmother in front of her grandchildren without charges. They apparently released her several minutes later without any explanation after they finally checked her ID.  http://bit.ly/ABZ1Z4
- Yakima WA police are accused of intentionally misinterpreting state law as an excuse for keeping a police sergeant’s misconduct and the investigation into it a secret, and it isn’t the first time they did so.  http://bit.ly/A3aPXT
- 2 Seneca MO cops were fired after a probe into citizen complaints found they had no certifications and one of them had a felony record.  http://bit.ly/why0HC
- Collinsville IL cop shown manufacturing cause to search motorist’s vehicle in home video made by that motorist. While the video is long and somewhat cheesy, it’s impressive on how much effort and thought went into proving his case.  http://bit.ly/FPOMVm
- Sûreté du Québec police criticized for raiding reporter’s home after a hospital complained about a report he made about how lax they were about protecting confidential medical records. Rights activists say this isn’t the first time that agency enacted raids against reporters for, well, reporting the news.  http://bit.ly/xWo43J
- Holly Ridge NC cop chasing kids who swore at him rear ended another cruiser, causing it to burst into flames. The other officer was rescued.  http://bit.ly/xRoEky
- Edinburg TX cop gets probation in official oppression plea for shaking down a motorist in order to get his customized cooler full of beer.  http://bit.ly/wGoiUb
- 3 Beloit WI cops get counseling & reprimands for giving cop suspected of DUI a ride home instead of testing her  http://bit.ly/zW3lId
- New Jersey state troopers investigated over disrespectful photos of them celebrating drug bust while waving Puerto Rican flag  http://bit.ly/FPqKrE
- Oklahoma City OK cop gets deferred sentence after pleading guilty to violating state law by placing online bets  http://bit.ly/FPge1y
That’s it for today, stay safe out there!