Here are the 7 reports of police misconduct tracked for Friday, April 4, 2013:
- Snohomish County, Washington: A now-former sheriff’s sergeant was charged with felony promoting prostitution and official misconduct for allegedly tipping off bikini baristas in exchange for sexual favors. He reportedly warned baristas when their businesses were targeted by undercover officers. ow.ly/vrF1y
- Los Angeles, California: A lawsuit says the police department attempted to bury a case of sexual assault involving two of its officers, even telling the victim not to seek legal counsel after she came forward. ow.ly/vrvOQ
- Fond du Lac, Wisconsin: A police officer has been suspended for 20 days. She has had 3 high-speed crashes in one year while on-duty. The police chief said that “further violations of city policies…will not be tolerated.” ow.ly/vrnTB
- Las Vegas, Nevada: A police officer accused of attempting to gain sexual favors from women he cited for traffic violations pled guilty to five gross misdemeanors. ow.ly/vrkcW
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: A police officer was charged with assault and making terroristic threats. He backed his car into a man, and the man pounded on the trunk of the officer’s car to alert him. The officer then got out of his car, pulled up his shirt to display a handgun, and rushed at the man yelling racial epithets and threatening to kill him. He has been suspended for 30 days with intent to dismiss.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma: A police officer is charged with five felony counts, including two counts for receiving bribes. He was charged with taking bribes from an individual who was a part of a “sting” operation. He is also is charged with two counts of violating the Computer Crimes Act and one count of Attempted Intent to Deliver an Illegal Narcotic. ow.ly/vqZ1l
- Bluffton, Georgia: The police department says they have suspended two officers without pay after they were involved in a bar fight. One was in possession of a firearm at the time. ow.ly/vqMgA