Here are the 14 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Wednesday, December 28, 2011:
- 6 Fayetteville NC cops are under investigation after witnesses claim they beat and repeatedly tasered a delusional man who is now on life support. They were responding to a call about the man repeatedly calling 911 because he was paranoid after he was apparently mugged twice and stuck in that city on his way home from Florida.  http://bit.ly/v49p90
- Gadsen AL settles suit for $50k to a man who suffered fractures when he was punched while cuffed by a cop on video. The single council member who voted against the settlement said he thought the only fair settlement would be $5.00 and a bus ticket out of town.  bit.ly/t0hxHI
- Van Zandt Co TX deputy was fired after arrested on an aggravated assault charge for hitting a cooperative teen in the head with a flashlight.  bit.ly/rOLjbM
- 2 West Tawakoni TX cops were fired and are the subject of a lawsuit alleging they took turns raping an intoxicated woman inside the empty police station then telling her to tell her friends it was just a joke.  bit.ly/tEhuNp
- Ringling OK reserve officer who was apparently the former police chief has resigned as part of a suspended sentence plea deal on a harassment charge for repeatedly pulling down the pants of a 17-year-old girl who worked next to his pizza place. After the sentencing he expressed his dismay that the town didn’t stand behind him in this case despite his many years of service to the community.  bit.ly/tPHIl5
- Dallas TX cop was arrested on a felony wanton endangerment charge in Kentucky after discharging a round from her gun into the ground near the father of her child in an apparent domestic dispute.  bit.ly/tRzf7S
- Sweetwater TN cop is on paid leave while investigated over an alleged but unspecified domestic violence incident at his home. There were no charges filed at the time.  on.wbir.com/vmPg0G
- Grand Island NE police are investigating how a witness to a stabbing incident was left alone in an interview room for 22 hours.  bit.ly/uPejVZ
- Miami-Dade FL police major who was recently demoted to captain is now facing a criminal investigation for using $23k in funds paid for NFL security details to bankroll unofficial police sports teams.  bit.ly/uT50Lv
- Ogden UT police chief was fired for violating federal Hatch Act during his campaign for state senate.  bit.ly/tjmLbS
- Pine Bluff AR cop is under investigation on suspicion that he was on sleep medication when he crashed his car, leaving his son, whom he apparently dropped off at the hospital in an attempt to cover up what happened, fighting to keep his vision.  bit.ly/ukjhWo
- Harvey IL police officer was arrested on a drunk driving charge after crashing into a stopped car while driving at a high rate of speed.  bit.ly/rQv0yT
- Indianapolis IN cop was arrested for DUI while on unpaid leave pending termination for another incident where he crashed his police cruiser while under the influence of pain medication.  bit.ly/vT5YJR
- Raleigh NC cop arrested on drunk driving charge after a fellow cop spotted him hit a curb. He tested at a .14 BAC.  bit.ly/t8JwwL
Three things before I go…
First, our news feed passed 4,000 followers this week! I was wondering if it was going to happen before the end of year and it did. Thank you all for following it!
Second, I apologize for not responding to email for the last few days, I’ve been terribly sick yet also busy at work. I’m hoping I start feeling better before the new year and I’ll try to get things caught up as best I can.
And lastly, I’m about half way through reviewing all the videos we tracked this year for our annual Worst Police Misconduct Videos of the Year reader’s poll… but I’m wondering if maybe we shouldn’t keep that tradition going. What do you think, is it worth anything to do the poll or does it do more harm than good?
That’s it for today, stay safe out there!