Here are the 19 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Friday the first of July, 2011:
- Portsmouth VA is being sued by the family of a man they claim was stumbling drunk and unarmed when he was fatally shot 11x by cop claiming he lunged  http://bit.ly/kYBMeE
- A Salinas CA cop pleads no contest to molesting a 12yr-old girl but only faces probation or a possible 1yr sentence  http://bit.ly/kbEx6j
- Nebraska City NE cop charged w/misdemeanor assault & official oppression for tackling a man who flipped him off at an event he was working a uniformed security detail for.  http://bit.ly/iDh8Gf
- Knoxville TN cop gets probation in plea for attempted sexual exploitation of minors which was a reduced charge for having child porn. He and another officer pled to reduced charges of supplying alcohol to minors that they enticed into stripping for them.  http://bit.ly/l5VZyP
- Lawrence Co KY sued by man accidentally shot by deputy while unarmed & compliant during drug warrant traffic stop  http://bit.ly/lrHRxP
- Henderson KY police sued by man claiming cops entered home w/o warrant & unleashed dog on him in search of a suspect who apparently wasn’t him.  http://bit.ly/l7i3sd
- 2 NC state troopers investigated for allegedly falsely detaining and mistreating a woman on a DUI charge, though she tested at 0.0 BAC. They are then accused of orchestrating a false traffic stop against her husband.  http://bit.ly/kODDmK
- The Opa Locka FL police department is the subject of a state probe after several cops filed a whistleblower suit. Among the allegations being investigated are that officers would offer to release suspects in exchange for sex.  http://bit.ly/kGdWSi
- West Virginia state police sued by woman arrested at home after she returned cash stolen by daughter’s boyfriend  http://bit.ly/iiPg6b
- Cripple Creek CO police have fired a dispatcher who was tasered by a cop who was playing around w/his taser… apparently because he talked to press  http://bit.ly/jA7aiq
- Savannah-Chatham GA cop facing fed charges for selling drugs stolen from dealers is fired… for being in rap video  http://bit.ly/j7Lkas
- Orange Co FL deputy reassigned pending termination after ruled at fault in crash killing 91yr-old on way to church  http://bit.ly/k6yDnm
- Orange Co CA deputy sentenced to 32mo prison for DUI crash injuring 78yr-old, showed up to 1st sentencing drunk  http://bit.ly/iyjIhv
- A Carbondale IL cop was convicted of robbing a bank. He claimed that he was threatened into doing it by a drug dealing neighbor but the jury apparently didn’t buy it.  http://bit.ly/jW1zmN
- Baltimore MD 3rd of 17 cops pleads guilty in extortion towing scheme that may result in more cops charged  http://bsun.md/iFa60Q
- Austin TX cop suspended 10 days after apparent fight in Target parking lot resulting in his arrest, although charges against him were eventually dismissed  http://bit.ly/m4ryrc
- Portland OR cop appears to have violated safeguards when he accidentally shot man w/live rounds from a beanbag shotgun. The procedures to follow when an officer is assigned one of these weapons should have prevented the accident.  http://bit.ly/luTpy2
- South Bend IN settles suit for $12k to man detained while car searched & damaged w/o warrant at traffic stop  http://bit.ly/izAxmI
- 3 Delaware state troopers fined for falsifying overtime records, all were able to retire prior to conviction  http://bit.ly/l45hs7
As loyal readers know, weekends tend to be slow news cycles and holiday weekends are especially slow. So this weekend report will be released Monday night and will include Monday’s reports as well. It won’t be much of a holiday for me though as I’ll be managing the feed as always in addition to using the time to try and catch up on some project related tasks I’m very far behind with.
Also, while I hate to do it and I’ve been holding off on asking in the hope something else would happen, it looks like I have to ask for donations to help us get through this next week. If you haven’t donated yet and find our project useful, please consider making a donation through the link at the top of our webpage if you can.
Thanks, and have a safe 4th of July weekend.