First I wanted to mention an article from Tulsa OK by This Land Press which discusses an excessive force incident that happened in 2000 but appeared to have slipped under the radar even though it resulted in the officer being disciplined with a 2-day suspension. The article cites our statistics in regard to Tulsa and is very well written so I do recommend reading it… but it also highlights the problems we face trying to track and document police misconduct… this incident took years to come to light, who knows how many others never do. Still, we try to do the best we can to track what we do find, someone has to.
The case cited, by the way, resulted in disciplinary action against an officer who was shown on dashcam video kicking a passenger in a car after he surrendered following a high-speed chase. I’m checking to see when the disciplinary action occurred to determine if it belongs in our database.
Now, here are the 17 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Tuesday, May 31, 2011:
- Streamwood IL cop sentenced to probation for beating motorist w/metal baton 15x & tasering passenger on dashcam video  http://trib.in/jd6b6I
- South Bend IN settles suit for $48k to man who had broken ribs, ruptured spleen & punctured lung after cop tackled him w/o warning  http://bit.ly/jBKlau
- 3 Phoenix AZ cops sued by man claiming the officers lied about why they tasered him and beat him with flashlights because there was no way he could have ran from them and assaulted them… he claims he’s partially paralyzed due to a childhood bout with polio.  http://bit.ly/j5sh9R
- Cincinnati OH cop under investigation after shooting an unarmed suspect in the hand when he was found hiding in a closet… but the officer is refusing to tell investigators why.  http://bit.ly/jPotMr
- Southgate MI police officer charged w/sexual assault for allegedly taking a domestic violence victim to a hotel for her own safety and then returning later and sexually assaulting her.  http://bit.ly/mgSjuj
- Colorado Springs CO cop already facing child porn & sex assault charges involving 6 boys may have 5 more victims, bringing the count to 11.  http://bit.ly/kUgLDA
- Miami Beach FL cops are accused of taking cell phones from witnesses and even attacking one man and crushing his cellphone after they filmed an officer-involved shooting incident that left an unarmed man dead and injured 4 innocent bystanders.  http://bit.ly/kI2Cj4
- Leon Valley TX cop suspended for firing weapon at neighbor’s homes while drunk, two departments are investigated why their officers didn’t arrest him.  http://bit.ly/iAoAQa
- Broward Co FL deputy arrested woman after mistaking sage for pot but the woman is suing the prosecutor for filing charges against her without waiting for test results from the lab.  http://bit.ly/jdyu0S
- Fairfield AL police & school sued by mom of a bipolar 5th grader who was cuffed & detained in cruiser to “scare him” into behaving.  http://bit.ly/mHpwha
- Chattanooga TN settles suit for $150k to a pedestrian badly injured when hit by distracted cop in police cruiser  http://bit.ly/iDsNlu
- Granby CO cop convicted of sending nude pics of himself & possessing nude pics of a 16yr-old girl he met on while responding to a call at her school.  http://bit.ly/k6iXgv
- Newark OH cop shoots family’s injured cat to death 20ft away from their front door. The family demands a policy change after saying the officer told them that he didn’t seek their permission because it would have been inconvenient.  http://bit.ly/lRmdtv
- Maryland Transit police warned by Maryland ACLU to stop detaining people for taking pictures or face civil suit after two incidents that occurred after an agreement by that agency with the ACLU to stop doing it.  http://bsun.md/iZ9SfV
- Los Angeles Co CA deputy sentenced to 3yrs (1.5 w/good behavior) for stealing $454k in towing fees from town  http://bit.ly/kcnyhJ
- New Hampshire State trooper sentenced to 6mo w/3 suspended for bribery, exchanged salvage tags for car repairs  http://bit.ly/lHCFcq
- A Denver CO police sergeant was suspended for 30 days for secretly recording an internal affairs commander in an effort to prove his theory that internal affairs had an anti-cop bias. His supervisor was suspended 80 days for approving the plot. Another officer was fired after a judge found him in contempt, but that is already in our database as a charge against the officer, which supersedes a disciplinary action.  http://bit.ly/jFgDD6
That’s it for today, stay safe out there!