I’ve decided to post the weekend update early this weekend, don’t worry though, if any more reports come up I’ll add them as they come in. I might just make the weekend recaps live recaps from now on actually… we’ll see how it goes…
With that in mind, here are the
12 13 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed so far for this weekend, May 21-22, 2011:
- 2 Washington DC Metro Transit police officers were caught on video picking up a man from a wheelchair then throwing him face first down onto the sidewalk where he laid bleeding while people around him apparently called for an ambulance. There aren’t any other details on this one yet but, in the snippet of video that is available above, there does not appear to be any justification for this one.  http://bit.ly/jYVdMB (UPDATE: DC Metro Transit police claim the use of force was justified and charged the man for drinking in public and assaulting an officer, they also allegedly arrested another person at the scene for trying to assist the man after he was injured.
- 3 La Marque TX police officers are the subject of a lawsuit alleging that they beat and tasered a man who sought help because he thought he was having a heart attack and that man then died as a result. This one strains at the credibility margin but apparently a bystander who tried the help the alleged victim and called 911 says that the man wasn’t resisting or being aggressive when police assaulted him. The police reports from the time of the incident indicate that they believed the man was drunk when they responded to the medical assist call and found him rolling around in a ditch and that he allegedly grabbed for one of their guns.  http://bit.ly/m82M3f
- Tulare County CA settled a lawsuit for $1,500,000 to the family of an unarmed man who was fatally shot in the back by a sheriff’s detective.  http://bit.ly/jYXmC3
- A Frederick County MD deputy who was assigned as school resource officer has been indicted for allegedly having sex with a female 14-year-old student from that school.  http://bit.ly/iP5ohe
- Cleveland OH police accountability practices are being called into question after a report found that 39% of use of force incidents involved people who were never convicted of any criminal act.  http://bit.ly/kQCFYy
- Cleveland Heights OH police apparently refused to test a rape kit from a woman who apparently survived a 2-day long rape by an alleged serial killer/rapist.  http://bit.ly/lyf0FO
- The Maricopa County AZ sheriff’s department was found to have mishandled over 400 sex crimes cases in a report released recently. Many of these involved serious criminal allegations including ones that involved children.  http://bit.ly/mm9zfH
- A Dickson TN DICE unit and the 23rd Judicial District Drug Task Force were caught on video conducting questionable traffic stops in an apparent attempt to conduct searches on cars in hopes of finding money to confiscate using forfeiture laws. Interestingly this was apparently captured during a ride-along by news crews as well.  http://bit.ly/loohBn
- The Houston TX police union is apparently retaliating against a medical examiner who found that a man who died after being put into a choke hold by an off-duty cop outside a bar was a case of homicide. The finding resulted in a homicide trial which resulted in a not-guilty verdict against the cop in question. So now the union is trying to get her fired by claiming she has a bias against police because of her testimony.  http://bit.ly/knarOW
- A Lincoln County GA deputy has been charged driving under the influence of prescription medication while behind the wheel of a police cruiser. He was previously fired from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office after he failed a drug test.  http://bit.ly/ln0hSY
- During a Lower Merion PA township commissioners meeting that was stunned when a woman recounted how she was allegedly stalked by then sexually assaulted by a twp police officer who then claimed that another officer illegally detained her afterward in an effort to silence her another story was eclipsed. Apparently, during the same meeting a different police officer made allegations that the department practiced racial discrimination when they allowed a promotion exam to expire so they could avoid promoting a black officer who ranked highest on the test results.  http://bit.ly/kBT0sV
- A Delaware State trooper has been charged with filing a false document based on time sheet fraud allegations.  http://bit.ly/kurH06
- A Denver CO police officer is under investigation after he hit a fellow officer with his police car while that officer was directing traffic at U2 concert.  http://bit.ly/lQx5iw
Two things before I call it a weekend. First, a reader let me know about an article at Solon.com by columnist and author David Sirota which makes the argument that the people need to have the right to police the police and cites a stat from our annual report within that article. Thanks for the mention Mr. Sirota, and thanks to the reader for letting me know about it.
Also, I’ll try doing live updates to the weekend recap again next week to see how it goes… at least barring anything that might come up preventing me from doing so.
That’s it for this weekend, stay safe out there!