Here are the 23 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Wednesday, September 7, 2011:
- Columbus GA police officer apparently shot a carjacking victim to death while chasing bank robbery suspect who jumped in his truck  bit.ly/q9qNal
- Chicago IL settles suit for $1.3mil to family of man who died in custody by choking on drugs after 5 cops beat him for violating policy requiring they take people to the hospital instead of the jail when this happens then lying to cover for it. Instead video showed the officer stop on the way to the jail then used his foot to shove the man’s body back in the cruiser when he slumped out while the officer opened to the door to check on him.  bit.ly/qH1DkV
- New Orleans LA cop fired on allegations he was untruthful about altercation w/student where a witness alleged that the officer kicked the boy in the head while he was on the ground.  bit.ly/p9TGDV
- Birmingham AL police officer shot his wife to death with his service weapon then radioed police before killing himself in their apartment while their young children were home  bit.ly/o9YGLe
- Memphis TN cops face discipline for injuring a mentally disabled man during wrong-door raid (via TheAgitator)  http://bit.ly/qmptGu
- New York NY police investigate how undercover cop fatally shot a man who intervened in a drug arrest after he mistook the officer for a mugger who was attacking his neighbor  bit.ly/orQ0uF
- Broken Arrow OK settles suit for $20k to man claiming cop beat him during DUI arrest, cop claimed he fell  bit.ly/nHMOJy
- Aurora CO accused of piling charges on woman falsely arrested while reporting sexual assault to keep her from suing  bit.ly/qAeGaF
- Univ of Pittsburgh PA settles ACLU suit for $48k to man arrested for using cell to record police questioning friend  bit.ly/mUVOaD
- Venice FL cop sued by woman claiming he illegally entered her home, manhandled her & arrested her for resisting  bit.ly/mYbFyT
- Hidalgo Co TX deputy arrested for unzipping pants, showing cuffed teen a condom & putting her hand on his crotch  bit.ly/ovysed
- New Mexico state trooper fired over public sex photos now accused of sexually harassing woman he arrested for DUI  bit.ly/nr0BHP
- Houston TX police accused by ex-prosecutor of withholding evidence about DUI “BAT Van” problems  bit.ly/qUO7VJ
- Atlanta GA faces 2nd Atlanta Eagle bar raid lawsuit alleging dept failed to implement changes promised in 1st suit  bit.ly/pyMubM
- Ontario police union lawyers urge cops to keep 2 sets of notes, one for themselves & scripted set for investigators  bit.ly/oxo6M1
- 2 NYPD cops sentenced to 195mo & 75mo for roles in armed robbery of perfume warehouse  bit.ly/ptmRWy
- Fairbanks AK cop faces confidential disciplinary action for his role in off-duty altercation w/woman at movie  bit.ly/pps1Tm
- 5 El Paso TX cops resign after investigation into overtime pay irregularities involving state DUI enforcement fund  bit.ly/oEH5hi
- Sartell MN cop resigns before investigation into unspecified complaint is completed, claims resignation was planned  bit.ly/oJ16dn
- Pennsylvania state police were embarassed when faxed press release lists a suspect’s name as “low-life piece of shit”  bit.ly/o7JkkO
- New Hanover Co NC deputy resigns after arrested on drunk driving charges at DUI checkpoint over Labor day weekend  bit.ly/pIfdux
- McLennan Co TX deputy on admin leave after arrested on drunk driving charge during traffic stop  bit.ly/pIJ02n
- Campbell Co TN deputy fired while under investigation by state police for crashing into a house while off duty  bit.ly/ppJhbw
Two things before I call it a day.
First, the family of Kelly Thomas, the man who died after severely beaten and tasered by 6 Fullerton CA cops, released medical records from the hospital staff who treated him which cites the cause of death as blunt force trauma resulting in brain damage. The release was done due to the incredibly slow investigation by the Orange County prosecutor and the apparent foot-dragging by that county’s coroner in releasing the results of his autopsy. The story is still getting a lot of coverage but KTLA appears to have the most details.
Second… I really hate to mention it but we could really use some donations. Since I’m a temp worker in my primary job I don’t get paid holidays but I am forced to take those days off. That lower paycheck coincides with a number of bills coming due this week so we’re in a bit of a situation. So, if you haven’t donated and appreciate what we do, please consider helping out today. Remember, the only funding this project gets is from readers like you!
Thanks, and stay safe out there!