Here are the 20 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Tuesday, September 27, 2011:
- It was finally confirmed today that New York NY police detained a PBS WNET journalist for 9 hours during the “Occupy Wall Street” protests when he tried to to interview the women who were peppersprayed without cause in the above video that we first reported on this weekend.  bit.ly/ri5I8R
- Los Angeles Co CA report on jail by ACLU contains details on allegations of widespread abuses by sheriff’s deputies. That report contained 70 testimonies from civilians, jail employees and prisoners alike and will likely be used as the basis of a planned lawsuit.  http://nyti.ms/qgUaZm
- RCMP officer in BC is under investigation after being accused of repeatedly punching a handcuffed 17-year-old girl in the face in the back of his cruiser after police were called to help her. The girl was not charged with any crime.  bit.ly/q3XQ69
- Dover NJ settles suit for $185k to a man who was 17 when he claimed that a cop beat him in a holding cell in retaliation when he mistook him for his brother who the officer claimed had hit him earlier that evening.  bit.ly/qMvQ0c
- Oxford MS cop was suspended w/o pay after indicted on felony child abuse and sexual battery charges  bit.ly/ru5B4x
- Kiowa Co CO deputy who was also a Lamar CO reserve officer was arrested on sexual assault on a child by a person of trust charge.  bit.ly/nKQT2N
- Pennington Co SD deputy was sentenced to 30 years in prison for possession & manufacture of child porn. He allegedly used his position to gain access the kids he took explicit pictures of until a 6-year-old boy reported him.  bit.ly/rsAUif
- US Immigration & Customs Enforcement head in Florida arrested for possession & distribution of child porn  bit.ly/qhViiF
- El Paso Co CO deputy with two previous reckless driving convictions has been fired & faces charges for causing a fatal crash by running a red light  bit.ly/qgcUVX
- Lynn MA cop found guilty of witness intimidation but not guilty of assault w/weapon when he hit man w/car  bit.ly/p57RKZ
- Fairfax Co VA cop arrested on domestic assault & battery charges after altercation w/unspecified acquaintance  bit.ly/pFiKVG
- New York NY cop accused of detaining & harassing tourist for legally taking photograph at 9/11 memorial  bit.ly/qE3D1d
- Baltimore MD cop arrested for driving drunk, leading cops on high-speed chase, reaching for gun & resisting arrest  bsun.md/nSHMc0
- Dallas TX cop resigns while investigated for allegedly coercing 2 female theft victims to show him their breasts  bit.ly/neMHBp
- Easton PA cop resigns while investigated for allegedly taking lost wallet but not reporting it or turning it over  bit.ly/nH4UEW
- Baton Rouge LA cop sentenced to 3yrs prison after pleading no contest to bribery & corrupt influence charges  bit.ly/o8IR5K
- Cicero IL cop sentenced to 2yrs prison after pleading guilty to leaking info to alleged mob racketeering bosses  bit.ly/puIYlT
- Martins Ferry OH ex-police chief in jail for celeb surrogate burglary sentenced to 3 more years for stolen dpt guns  bit.ly/qkqpfW
- Morganton NC cop pleads guilty for embezzling $9,000 from police union to pay for trips to beach & electronics  bit.ly/nQSJyj
- 2 of 3 Lake Co IN deputies charged w/money laundering & selling military-grade firearms on internet have accepted a plea deal  bit.ly/nv4VGC
- Daviess Co IN deputy suspended while investigated for an alleged by unspecified compromise of info in drug case  bit.ly/nOLuIA
- Indio CA police chief fired for his role in multi-million dollar federal grant scandal that led to one conviction  bit.ly/oUuj51
A few things before I go for the evening.
First, some of the few readers who follow my personal twitter account may have noticed I’ve been getting pretty perturbed about some of the new “bad cop” sites that have popped up recently that re-post old stories and videos in a way that misleads people into believing that they are new cases, even years after they already went to court and were settled. This frustrates me because it takes a lot of work to track all the new reports we publish each and every single day and so many of these reports will never get any coverage beyond the single small article in a local paper somewhere or a small segment in a local news channel but really deserve so much more attention than that. Yet they get ignored on all these other sites that have triple the readership that we do.
My apologies if my outrage about this is difficult to understand, but if self-declared police accountability activists can’t even get serious about the issue, how can anyone expect the public to get serious about it. While this project is mainly devoted to gaining a better understanding of police misconduct by generating statistical information about it, it’s also an effort to improve awareness about the issue. That’s a difficult enough task to undertake without other activists undermining that effort.
Also, some may have noticed that I removed one report that was on the feed. The person who reported it via a video uploaded to YouTube, but that user removed it on his own for an unknown reason so I have nothing to base the report on, thus I cannot include it per our guidelines that require a publicly available account of that report. This requirement is necessary in order to maintain transparency and allow for people to challenge any report they feel shouldn’t be included.
Our statistics have no meaning if people don’t trust the data behind them. This is why we have credibility requirements for the reports we publish. After all, I can’t complain about law enforcement agencies failing to be transparent and accountable if we’re not as well.
That’s it for today, stay safe out there.