Well, here we are, well over half-way through the month and I still haven’t even come close to finishing up the 3rd quarter statistical report. I wish I didn’t have to juggle this project with a full time job on top of it, I wish this was my job… but that’s life.
This time around I’m adding more detailed statistics for excessive force data in addition to the general misconduct stats we’ve presented to date. I know from the search traffic we get that this is something people are looking for so I want to make sure everyone has access to that.
Anyway, since my time is so limited, I’m just leaving these reports in short format for a while… which means it’s nothing more than a copy of our news feed. At least until I get our Q3 report done… Sorry.
With that in mind, here are the 17 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Tuesday, October 19, 2010:
- Salinas CA settles suit for $2.1mil to mother & husband of woman fatally shot by cop at same time she was tasered 
- Costa Mesa CA cops investigated for allegedly intimidating council candidate who blames budget mess on cop pay & pensions
- Chicago IL cop sued by pal claiming cop’s service weapon mysteriously shot him in back of head during drunken fight (another article comes out and claims the officer fired the shot) 
- San Francisco CA approves $2.4mil settlement to pedestrian injured when hit by cruiser witnesses say was speeding 
- Lake County IL deputy on paid leave after arrested on misdemeanor DV charge for allegedly throwing girlfriend down stairs 
- Anne Arundel County MD cops investigated after not checking to see if woman they mistakenly declared dead was really dead 
- Chicago IL cop re-indicted on perjury & obstruction charges related to several false DUI arrest allegations after an appeals court overturned a lower court dismissal of those charges 
- Marion County OR deputy arrested for DUI, assault & reckless endangerment after off-duty crash that injured 1 
- Denver CO cop arrested on kidnapping & sexual assault charges for coercing woman into sex under threat of arrest 
- Jackson MS police officer arrested on domestic violence charge over unspecified incident 
- Mendenhall MS police chief fired after suspended during missing funds probe & arrest for explicit gestures at family 
- Long Beach CA cop arraigned on DUI charge after motorists removed his keys from ignition while stopped at green light 
- Onodaga County NY deputy suspended w/o pay for 3weeks in excessive force case, other resigns in unspecified case 
- Provo UT police officer subject of investigation by Orem police concerning undisclosed incident 
- Manatee County FL deputy suspended 1 week & transferred for allegedly failing to report son’s sexual assaults on kids 
- New York NY settles suit for $965k to 83 cyclists arrested during monthly critical mass rides from 09/04 – 01/06 
- Center CO cop arrested on numerous charges including assault, theft, witness intimidation & witness retaliation 
That’s it for today, stay safe out there!