Here are the 20 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Wednesday, February 9, 2011:
- A Seattle WA police officer is under investigation after he was caught on dashcam, shown above, stomping on the head of a handcuffed man that allegedly assaulted him outside of a bar while he was off-duty. The incident apparently began when he accused some women of stealing his jacket inside a bar he had been drinking at with a friend and tried to arrest them and, according to some witnesses, threatened people outside with a gun. At that point, apparently, three men approached and yelled at the officer to let go of the woman, sparking a brawl which police responded to. The incident was reported by an officer at the scene, which initiated an internal investigation which has since changed into a criminal investigation. 
- A Palm Beach County FL deputy has been arrested on felony assault with a deadly weapon and making false statements charges in an unspecified incident. 
- A Searcy AR police school resource officer has pled guilty to “deviant sexual activity” with a 16-year-old girl. He was apparently caught climbing into her bedroom window. 
- Los Angeles CA police are being accused of excessive force in one of two raids that were conducted on the homes of two teens who had recorded a police officer fighting with a student at a bus stop in which one of the students was arrested on “attempted lynching” charges for it. We had previously recorded the raids after a political group reported them but this is the first mention we’ve seen from a more mainstream source confirming the controversial raids occurred and detailing some additional allegations about what occurred during the raids. 
- The police chief of Sneedville TN has resigned while under investigation by a state agency into unspecified sexual misconduct allegations. 
- A Cleveland OH jury found a case put in front of them was so egregious that they immediately found the teen accused of assault not guilty, pledged to file a complaint with the police about the shoddy investigation work, and even offered to give the accused their jury pay as a result. The prosecutors office there was recently the subject of a newspaper expose alleging hundreds of cases where there was insufficient evidence and investigation work done prior to prosecution. 
- An East Greenwich RI police officer has been sentenced to pay court costs as a result of his plea to an assault charge over an incident outside of a bar where he broke a cow statue then punched a man who tried to detain him when he tried to leave when confronted. 
- A Colorado State trooper was suspended after arrested for his alleged role in a New Years bar brawl along with his friends whom, local police claim, are convicted drug dealers currently on parole. They’re all accused of assaulting bar staff after asked to leave. 
- A Reno NV police officer has been arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge over an unspecified incident that occured at a casino. 
- A Cincinnati OH police officer has been sentenced to 64 hours of community service for exposing himself to several Sears employees at a mall. 
- A Westmorland CA police officer is still under investigation after being arrested on February 1 on burglary, grand theft & other charges. 
- A Spokane County WA deputy has been fired for stabbing a knife into the seat of a woman’s car after he had it towed over a minor non-moving traffic violation after a routine traffic stop. 
- A Nashville TN metro parks police captain has been suspended while investigated over domestic violence allegations in addition other unspecified allegations he was already under investigation for at the time. 
- A Hancock County IN deputy is facing theft charges for allegedly stealing over $9,000 from the department’s drug buy fund so he could pay bills and gamble. 
- A West Pittston PA police officer has been convicted on theft charges for accepting $20,000 in DARE funds for teaching DARE classes at local schools that he never taught. 
- A Redmond OR police lieutenant has been arrested after an investigation into allegations he sold firearms that he took from police inventory. 
- A Cochise County AZ deputy has been indicted on multiple fraud and conspiracy-related charges for allegedly helping and advising his wife about how to embezzle $1,000,000 from the doctor’s office she worked at. 
- The Fairbanks AK police chief has had charges dropped against a good Samaritan who had been at an accident scene that he stopped at to help the injured before a police officer arrived and asked him to stay in order to get a statement. The man was arrested for urinating behind a truck while he waited. The chief also issued an apology, saying it was overzealous, and had him reimbursed for the money he spent over the charge. 
- An Accomack County VA deputy has resigned before he was arrested for stealing energy drinks from a convenience store on at least 10 occasions. 
- And finally, the sheriff of Norfolk County MA has hired a former Wapole MA police officer who agreed to resign in order to avoid charges for allegedly shoplifting from a convenience store on a daily basis. While the chief was surprised to hear he got another job in law enforcement, the sheriff insists the officer deserves a second chance. 
I’m sorry the report is early today, but it’s been a very bad day and that’s all I’ll say about it.
I will be unable to record reports for most of tomorrow morning, so the news feed will have a late start. I do apologize for the inconvenience but I don’t have a choice. Things are getting pretty desperate here, unfortunately, and there’s little I can do about it now.
Still, as always, that’s it for today. Do try to stay safe out there.