A couple things before I start today…
First, I just found out that the person who inspired me to create this site has retired his amazing Simple Justice blog. I know it will be sorely missed not just by me, but by many many people out there. Yet I’m sure that he’ll keep doing great things out there even if he’s not sharing it with us anymore. Please wish him luck for me.
Next, I’m sure there aren’t too many people who read this site who aren’t aware of long-time photography rights journalist Carlos Miller of Photography is not a Crime fame. But in case you’re not I wanted to mention that he is trying to raise funds for his upcoming legal battle against the Miami-Dade Florida police department from when he was arrested for videotaping police. You can either give him a straight donation or buy some great lens cloths and give to the cause at the same time.
With that said, here are the 14 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this Monday, February 20, 2012:
- 6 St Martinville LA cops investigated for allegedly picking teen up by hair & beating him for dancing in public  bit.ly/wt42XV
- Orlando FL police use of K9 that left man’s leg deformed ruled gratuitous & sadistic by 11th Circuit Court  sunsent.nl/waITA0
- 2 Tacoma WA cops sued alleging excessive force when they broke man’s arm & shoulder as they dragged him out of car  bit.ly/y9Nj18
- Bono AR cop suspended while investigated on allegations that he sexually assaulted man at his home  bit.ly/wYJEhH
- Poughkeepsie NY news study of 19 area police dept finds blacks tasered disproportionately more often than whites  pojonews.co/zaBS3L
- Poughkeepsie NY news study of 19 area police dept finds officers deviate from taser guidelines in 1/5 of cases  pojonews.co/whyJfE
- Minocqua WI cop suspended after arrest on multiple charges involving dangerous weapon in domestic incident  bit.ly/wd38Az
- Sanoma Co CA prosecutors ask judge to issue court order removing Santa Rosa CA police brutality video from internet  bit.ly/ynMuZ0
- Trumann AR police chief on paid leave while investigated over unspecified misconduct allegations  bit.ly/w6VCNl
- Peel ON cop charged w/theft and breach of trust following internal investigation involving lost & found property  bit.ly/xtOdJS
- Orleans Parish LA deputy charged w/obstruction & harboring a fugitive, allegedly hid female suspect from deputies  bit.ly/xe46zF
- West New York NJ cop suspended 30 days for unauthorized use of police database to look up person’s info  bit.ly/xAJZrh
- Windham ME police dept subject of sexual harassment & retaliation complaint filed with Maine HRC by ex-cop  http://bit.ly/xCa8C9
- Halifax NS cop arrested on drunk driving charge after police received tip about impaired driver  bit.ly/zk8uo3
That’s it for today, stay safe out there!